[Rhodes22-list] Political- media bias in reporting exposed... afailure to think things thru

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 23:04:14 EDT 2008

Robert,

I read a book last month titled, "The Bin Ladens" by Steve Coll (author of
"Ghost Wars", another good read on the CIA's role in Afghanistan during the
Soviet era) and at one time the Bin Laden family of construction companies
(ie, Saudi Arabia) were the single largest customer of Caterpillar.  Things
must have slowed down a bit, the local CAT dealer called me at home last
night wanting to "help me meet my equipment needs".  I informed him that I'd
like to find work for the equipment I already have, purchased from other
vendors since they wouldn't give me the time of day shortly after Katrina
when I last called them.  What a difference a few years and a slow-down in
the market makes!

We haven't built a new refinery in the US in over 30 years, too much
NIMBYism.  If $4 a gallon gasoline doesn't change that attitude, maybe $5
per gallon will.  We'll see.

Brad