[Rhodes22-list] New Job Offer

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:16:12 EDT 2008

Say it ain't so!  This news just in this morning.  Now I have to go to work
again today!  Brad

Woman Gets Two Years for Aiding Nigerian Internet Check Scam (PC World)

   - Posted on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30PM EDT

  - A Washington woman was sentenced on Wednesday to two years in prison and
five years of supervised release for her role in an Internet counterfeit
check scheme.

Edna Fiedler pleaded guilty in March to attempting to defraud U.S. citizens
in a scheme known as a Nigerian check scam.

Fiedler helped her accomplices in Nigeria send fake checks to people who had
agreed to cash the checks on behalf of the sender, keeping some of the
proceeds and sending the rest back.

The Nigerians found people willing to cash the fake checks via e-mail. They
would send their names as well as fake documents that looked like Wal-Mart
money orders, Bank of America checks, U.S. Postal Service checks and American
Express traveler's checks to Fiedler. They told her how to fill out the
checks and where to send them.

The recipients most likely thought they were helping out someone who needed
a person in the U.S. to cash a check for them, according to the U.S.
Department of Justice. They were able to get the money by cashing the
checks, and sent most of it to either Fiedler or her Nigerian accomplices.
However, once the checks were discovered to be fake, the people who cashed
them were responsible for the full amount.

All told, Fiedler sent out US$609,000 worth of phony checks and money
orders. When U.S. Secret Service agents investigating the case searched
Fiedler's house, they found additional fake checks worth more than $1.1
million that she was preparing to send out.

At a recent conference in Seattle, a representative from the U.S. Postal
Service and Washington State Attorney General Rob McKenna described ways
they're working to shut down these kinds of scams, particularly because they
often involve people who don't realize that they're taking part in illegal
activities.

The U.S. Postal Service recently sent 15 postal investigators to Lagos,
Nigeria, and during a three-month period there, they helped intercept
counterfeit checks, lottery tickets and
eBay<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/pcworld/tc_pcworld/storytext/147575/28018350/SIG=10mlohcf4/*http://www.ebay.com/>overpayment
schemes with a face value of $2.1 billion, Chris Siouris, a
cyber investigator at the U.S. Postal Inspector, said at the recent
conference. Siouris, McKenna and others are pushing for ways to better
educate Internet users so that people don't unwittingly help out in these
kinds of e-mail scams.