[Rhodes22-list] We Don't Need No Stinkin' Sails!

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Jun 27 17:08:25 EDT 2008

Here's something about sailing for Brian.

Snuck out for a quick sail this afternoon.  Planned to experiment with a
reefed main in high winds, but I was disappointed that it was only blowing
at 7 knots.  Reefed both the main and Genoa to about 60% on a beam reach and
was surprised that I was hitting 4 knots with less than 100 square feet of
sail.

At first I heard the thunder and then saw the lightning and then noticed
that all the other boats were gone.  I didn't want to get my sails wet so I
reefed them in but I figured I'd wait out the storm and get a little more
sailing in.  Poptop down with stored bimini laying on top, centerboard up,
motor down, tiller locked straight, companionway hatch open, 1 foot of chop,
7 knot wind:  speed 2.1 knots with no sails.  Then the wind came.  Same
set-up with about a 14 knot wind and about 2 foot of chop and I'm traveling
at 3.8 knots; no sails.  When I hit 4.6 knots I figured it was time to go
in.  The most I measured the wind was over 23 knots but I suspect it was
occasionally higher.

I guess you don't need sails when the chop and current are pushing you with
the wind hitting the transom, the bulkhead, the cabin interior, and my body
(no comments).  Remember that the motor was in the water.  I'm thinking I
may have been able to hit hull speed had I pulled her out.

I've complained that my 9.9 Merc has way too much unnecessary power, but I
couldn't get past 3 knots motoring back against the wind and waves.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD