[Rhodes22-list] Motor Skills (was We Don't Need No Stinkin' Sails!)

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Jun 28 09:48:01 EDT 2008

Jerry,

I had the same thing with the weatherhelm.  I was afraid the tiller or the
linkage to the motor would break.

Here's a motoring question.  In heavy chop it's an unpleasant ride with the
waves hitting you on the beam, but of course that's normally the direction I
need to go.  Is it best to go directly from point A to B and suffer the
rough ride or would it make more sense to do more of a zigzag into and away
from the wind?  When going with the wind would you make up the time that was
lost when going against it?  I've read that under sail going into the wind
you'll make better time by tacking more frequently.  I guess that reduces
distant traveled but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

Lee