[Rhodes22-list] A-320 Crosswind Landing in Hamburg

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Mar 4 17:59:06 EST 2008

David,

I agree that they should not have attempted the landing since it was at the
limits for the aircraft (see:
http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php?topic=4268.msg24415 ).  It appears
that the wind gust that lifted the aircraft was indeed in excess of 38 kts
(always easy to spot the problem when you have all of the info and the time
to digest it.)  The problem is that ATIS gave no alternative until the
mishap.  Afterwards, rwy 33 was opened as an alternative for the original
rwy 23.

I still think that the pilots reacted extremely well to a very dangerous
situation, saving lives and equipment.  Not all Airbus jockeys are as well
trained.  Hopefully, the company will simply strengthen the crosswind
advisory and not destroy these folks.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY