[Rhodes22-list] A320 Crosswind Landing

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:33:20 EST 2008

 Message: 9
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:59:06 -0500
From: "Michael D. Weisner" <mweisner at ebsmed.com>
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] A-320 Crosswind Landing in Hamburg
To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>

David,

I agree that they should not have attempted the landing since it was at the
limits for the aircraft (see:
http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php?topic=4268.msg24415 ).  It appears
that the wind gust that lifted the aircraft was indeed in excess of 38 kts
(always easy to spot the problem when you have all of the info and the time
to digest it.)  The problem is that ATIS gave no alternative until the
mishap.  Afterwards, rwy 33 was opened as an alternative for the original
rwy 23.

I still think that the pilots reacted extremely well to a very dangerous
situation, saving lives and equipment.  Not all Airbus jockeys are as well
trained.  Hopefully, the company will simply strengthen the crosswind
advisory and not destroy these folks.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "David Culp" <daculp at gmail.com>Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 5:18 PM
> >If you haven't already seen the video, here are a couple of great videos
> of the Lufthansa A320 attempting a
>>landing in high crosswinds on Saturday:
>
> http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=77355
>
> http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185
>
>>Nice reactions to avert what could have been a real disaster.  Kudos to
>>the
> pilots.
>
>>Mike
>>s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
>      Nissequogue River, NY
>

> Unfortunately, these nice reactions were caught on video.  I would guess
> that the kudos award ceremony is going to be taking place at either the
> training facility or the chief pilot's office.
>
> David Culp

Mike:

I agree that the airport is culpable also, if a more favorable runway could
be made available and isn't.  Many times, you will arrive at an airfield
where the reported winds are at the crosswind limit for the aircraft and
there is no other option besides going to an alternate.  Barring any other
factor which would reasonably prevent an approach (severe wind-shear,
convective activity or poor braking conditions), I would imagine most of us
are going to take a shot at it.  So I wouldn't fault this flight crew for at
least attempting it once, barring any other factors.  One thing is clear and
sailors and pilots know this-the wind constantly changes.  So if you begin
an approach and the crosswind is at the limit, it is quite likely that the
conditions anticipated and the actual conditions found at landing are likely
to be different ( read worse).

This was a unique situation because it was being videoed and the video is
quite good.  There are even a couple of enhanced versions of it floating
around on the Internet now.  I was amazed how the news media handled it.
Apparently, their idea of a successful flight is much the same as my
daughter's who fears and hates to fly-"we didn't crash and I got my
luggage".  That's not a very high bar.

I just think after the euphoria wears down over the averted disaster that
other factors will be raised.  The crew did a good job of extracting
themselves from a pretty deep hole and it's wonderful and lucky that there
were no injuries or loss of life.  I just think after awhile, with this
video out there that someone is going to start asking who had the shovel?
Had this been an American carrier and crew, the company would have had "no
comment"  pending the investigation and the crew members would be in the
simulator in the coming weeks with a check airman and an FAA observer
(perhaps unjustly) having to prove that they should keep their tickets.
I've worked at two different airlines where pilots dragged wing tips on
landing and while averting disaster, still, neither the company management
or the FAA was pleased about it.  Maybe, that's the difference between
European and American attitudes on such things.

Finally on a lighter note, did you see that pair of wings on the Lufthansa
pilot's uniform who was being interviewed?   Man.... That's the biggest set
of wings I've ever seen that weren't attached to an actual airplane!  I bet
he picks up a lot of girls with those :-).

David Culp