[Rhodes22-list] relocating the topping lift - any experience out there?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Mar 7 11:28:34 EST 2008

We are going to be relocating our topping lift. Is there anyone who
has done this and has an attachment system they are particularly pleased with?

Background: We have two sheaves at the masthead. One will be
spinnaker (Doyle UPS) halyard. The other will be the jib/genoa
halyard to go with the new Schaefer Snap-Furl furling unit. This
means an alternate arrangement will have to be found for the topping
lift. We adjust the topping lift a lot - at anchor to raise the boom,
when furling the main, when lowering the mast etc. so we want to
retain the ease of adjustment we now have.

We have thought about putting a block on the side of the mast but
real estate up there looks a little tight. We have thought about
dead-ending the topping lift at the masthead and running it through a
block at the boom end but this seems like it might not adjust as well.

Does anyone have experience with either of these approaches? Has
anyone come up with another solution? Are there fittings you would
suggest? Do you have pictures? I am looking for some experience
rather than conjecture unless the conjecture includes part numbers or
a different approach entirely.

Note to Ed: I did search the archives. This was discussed on the list
in 2003 with Roger Pihlaja writing about dead-ending the topping lift
but the discussion quickly moved to a discussion of mounting for a
whisker pole and there was not any further discussion of how the
topping lift was attached or how well it worked. I think Mark Kaynor
also did this but Mark and Julie are off cruising (last heard from in
the Bahamas).

To everyone else: Thanks in advance.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless