[Rhodes22-list] Gas - new topic - not really political - maybe can be applied to boats?

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 11:51:45 EST 2008

so thats what a fifth wheel is. i always wondered?!?!

Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:
See this website:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C14740/

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum: Choices has nothing to do with above.... read only if you want
to... my propaganda...

Making right choices in gray areas difficult, by Bryan Crenshaw.

Decision making about right and wrong has always been difficult but never
more so than in the complicated world of today. The problem is our choices
are not always set in clear black and white, but often in varying shades of
gray. On the broader level our nation faces options of which none seem
tenable. In the military we want to downsize, but don't touch "our" bases.
We want to protect the environment but meet needs of industry. There is
conflict in needs for public services and exercising responsibility in
taxation.
When we move to the personal level we find the same type of conflict. Every
day we are called upon to make choices about the moral issues of life, about
right and wrong. How do we make such choices? Of course we have the
classic guidelines -- the Ten Commandments, the Sermon on the Mount, the
Golden Rule. But even with these we sometimes find ourselves confused as we
deal with gray areas, and have difficulty in decision making.
Let me suggest a series of questions which might be helpful as we seek to
make decisions about right and wrong.

1. Ask first, "Does it have to be concealed?" Evil loves darkness,
goodness loves light. When something is wrong it likes to slip around in
dark corners. When something is good it can stand the scrutiny of broad
daylight.

2. A second question: "Where does it lead?" The person who chooses a path
also chooses where that path comes out. Therefore, one needs to think not
only about a specific act but the direction in which that act leads. If the
direction is wrong the destination can never be right. Young people should
be especially sensitive in this area. So many wrongs are lightly accepted
by society, and it is easy to drift into situations which bring disaster.

3. A third question: "How does this affect other people?" We like to
think we live alone and what we do is our business and no one else's. This
is simply not true. Almost everything we do has an effect on many other
people. Each of us can recall many instances where one person's wrongdoing
has brought disastrous consequences upon others -- effect which could have
been easily foreseen if the person had stopped to think.

4. The next question: "Would it be all right, and would the world be just
as happy and well off if everyone did this; or am I trying to give myself
special privilege?" We remember Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative
which asked, "What would be the result if everyone did as I do?" And
remember Paul's admonition, "love does not purse selfish advantage."

To be aware of these questions is not enough. For them to be effective
there needs to be three additional things. First, a moral sensitivity which
remembers to ask the right questions at the right time. Second, a moral
decisiveness, to know what is right.