[Rhodes22-list] relocating the topping lift - any experience out there?

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 7 13:46:25 EST 2008

John:
      Mine is like Mary Lou's.  Having the adjustment led aft is good in my opinion.   I have adjusted the toplift during a sail only in light winds to avoid the boom touching the backside of the pop-up when it is raised --- otherwise only when I'd forgot to lower the boom before unfurling the mainsail.
     I've found myself using it most either during or after furling the mainsail---to apply or release pressure on the foot when furling the IMF to permit it to furl evenly and avoid bunching or creases in the mainsail when being furled and to raise the boom after the mainsail is furled to avoid contact between the boom and the raised pop-up.
Rex
John Lock <jlock at relevantarts.com> wrote:
  At 12:44 PM 3/7/2008 -0500, Lou Rosenberg wrote:
>Roger Pihlaja recommended that I just run a line from the masthead
>to a small block on the side of the boom and cleat it there. Simple and
>gives you cockpit control of the Topping lift.

That brings up a question (in my ignorance) - is there ever a case
where you would need to adjust the topping lift under
sail? Cleating the topping lift on the boom sounds ideal, unless
the boom is swung out where you can't reach the cleat.

Cheers!

John Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA