[Rhodes22-list] relocating the topping lift - any experience out there?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Mar 7 17:38:13 EST 2008

John,
You need to keep in mid that your R22 does not have Rhodes standard mast.

Rummy

In a message dated 3/7/2008 1:46:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rexh at sbcglobal.net writes:

John:
Mine is like Mary Lou's.  Having the  adjustment led aft is good in my
opinion.   I have adjusted the  toplift during a sail only in light winds to avoid
the boom touching the  backside of the pop-up when it is raised --- otherwise
only when I'd forgot to  lower the boom before unfurling the mainsail.
I've found myself using it most either during or after furling the
mainsail---to apply or release pressure on the foot when furling the IMF to  permit it
to furl evenly and avoid bunching or creases in the mainsail when  being
furled and to raise the boom after the mainsail is furled to avoid  contact between
the boom and the raised pop-up.
Rex
John Lock  <jlock at relevantarts.com> wrote:
At 12:44 PM 3/7/2008 -0500,  Lou Rosenberg wrote:
>Roger Pihlaja recommended that I just run a line  from the masthead
>to a small block on the side of the boom and cleat it  there. Simple and
>gives you cockpit control of the Topping  lift.

That brings up a question (in my ignorance) - is there ever a  case
where you would need to adjust the topping lift under
sail?  Cleating the topping lift on the boom sounds ideal, unless
the boom is  swung out where you can't reach the cleat.

Cheers!

John  Lock
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair,  GA