[Rhodes22-list] Leaky Ports - question on sealant's name...

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Mar 8 10:09:27 EST 2008

Rummy,

I agree - do it once, the right way and you will NEVER need to do it again -
now back to reality.

Sooner or later, as the result of UV, salt, excessive TIME, mechanical abuse
(yes, the portlights sometimes get broken, too) I find that I need to remove
the piece and rebed (or replace and rebed.)  Since I have owned my R22 for
over 26 years, lots of stuff has exceeded the manufacturer's expected
product life (yes, even lifetime caulks) and much of it had to be resealed,
at least once.  The fact that most of it is still sailing and did not
require a replacement purchase after a few years, is a testament to the poor
business sense of an engineer turned salesman.  Can you imagine if you only
bought 1 car in 26 years (and it was still on the road with only regular
maintenance?)  The automobile industry would have closed its doors a long
time ago.  What a concept!

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY