[Rhodes22-list] Mo Gubmint - Politics & Educatio

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 11:54:41 EDT 2008

Elle,

You make a lot of valid points.  Your observations about "rats leaving a
sinking ship" is spot on but the "rats" have been leaving long before the
concept of charter schools started.  This is one of the few countries where
people are free to move and do so frequently.  Those with the resources to
move to a better school district do so.  Charter schools attempt to
accomplish the same thing without the physical relocation. Those with the
financial means enroll their children in private schools and remain in place
geographically.  Its become socially unacceptable to discuss reality in
"polite company" but since I'm neither a racist or a bigot, I don't feel the
need to back down from the argument. The separate but equal doctrine was
struck down a long time ago as well it should have been, but in our zeal to
overcome the guilt that many have chosen to self-impose, we have created a
treatment worse than the disease.  Equal but failing is hardly an acceptable
solution.  When any system isn't working, be it a business, a car or a
computer, it is helpful to "rewind" the clock to a point in time when it was
working and ask "what has changed?" since it last functioned correctly. All
black schools in Washington, DC had higher graduation rates under 'separate
but equal' than they do now.  What has changed?  We have watered down our
curriculum, lowered our expectations, and politicized the school systems via
victimization and race-baiting politics.  The solution offered by the
politicians across the country have mirrored what we have seen here in
Memphis.  If we can't "fix" the inner city schools, let's drag the county
schools that are working into the system so the average of the whole is
improved. That's hardly a formula for success.  The primary function of any
school is to educate.  The ability to read, write, and perform math does far
more for any child's self-esteem than any sensitivity training or
multiculturalism awareness program. Both of the private schools my son's
attended were "rainbow" schools with the emphasis on performance.  We're
asking too much of our schools if we demand that they fix all of society's
ills.  It isn't fair to blame teachers for the current state of our
educational system but it is fair to take on the various schools of
education and their failed theories and doctrines.  Language and science is
race and gender neutral and we shouldn't use our schools as sociological
experiments. Again, perhaps it is time to move back to a point in history
where things were working and ask, what changed?  We should look to the
private sector and ask, what do they do differently that seems to work?  If
we stay stuck on the issues of equality, social justice, and economic
inequities, we'll never make progress. If you want a working model for
equality, social justice, and economic fairness, study the US military.
Sorry for discussing the uncomfortable realities amongst polite company.

Brad