[Rhodes22-list] Mo Gubmint - Politics & Education

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Mar 9 14:55:58 EDT 2008

I'm lost. Why would (under a voucher system) kids remain in a "crappy
school"? Their vouchers would work at the good schools as well as the
"crappy ones".

It's not segregation unless there's some sort of discrimination going
on. And folks wouldn't be segregated by $$ (at least not any more than
they are now). Kids would use their vouchers to go to the school of
their (parents') choice, that school would receive the funding those
voucher's represent.

As far as parents working with the school when there's a problem, sorry
that only goes so far. The schools don't WANT to be "worked with". They
long ago adopted the attitude of "we know best for your child", and
telling use we will follow those instructions.

Another personal example. When my youngest (she's 22 now, so this was
about 15 years ago) was in 2nd grade, she brought home a "permission
slip" for me to sign. Seems her class was going to have "aid awareness
instruction", and since it was a delicate issue, they wanted permission
slips signed. I wrote a note back declining my permission, stating that
my 7 year old did not need "aids awareness" at this time, and I would
take care of that need when it arose. The school teacher decided to put
Katie in the hall during that time, and have her write a paper on her
understanding of aids.

In other words, she was punished because I wouldn't sign the paper, and
my wishes were deliberately undermined. I spoke with the princepal, but
she didn't agree with my assessment, and saw no problem with "the
assignment". 2 months later, Katie was in private school.

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35