[Rhodes22-list] Free electrical advise

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Mar 11 13:58:05 EDT 2008

JB,

I always solder the crimp joints, particularly on the boat.  They last a
whole lot longer when soldered, probably due to the absence of salt
corrosion.  Many years ago, I added a Wahl Cordless Soldering Iron to my
marine tool kit.  It was a rechargeable device that I occassionally swapped
with another kept at home and fully charged.

Last year, I purchased a $20 battery powered Weller soldering iron at Sears.
It seems to work very well, has relatively good heating for small areas and
runs on a pair of disposable AA alkaline batteries, assuring a nearly always
"charged" power source.  I may replace the old Wahl on the boat this season
with the Weller just so that I do not have to remember to charge it.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "JbTek" <j.bulfer at jbtek.com>Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 12:26 PM