[Rhodes22-list] Mo Gubmint - Politics & Education..Big Al suck it up

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Mar 11 14:20:13 EDT 2008

I probably should have said this earlier, but in my "vision" of a
voucher system, current "public" schools would also receive vouchers for
their students.

Also, certain "at risk" categories would receive a high voucher -
exceptional students that have been mainstreamed or require exceptional
circumstances at the school.

I know one of the complaints about providing a voucher system is that
the kids that, because of disabilities, have a higher "cost factor"
would not be accepted at the schools. That would help alleviate that.

As for the private schools (often) attracting teachers that wouldn't
teach at public schools; I know there's a variety of reasons:

1) No requirement for credentials (stop and really think on that one a
bit - ironic that high-caliber folks go places where they don't require
credentials)
2) Less of a beauracratic  hassle (another irony, the other way. As
private schools become more successful, the administrative level will
get more top heavy)
3) A desire to teach the way they want to teach (sort of tied to the two
above, but a little broader - Christians often want to teach in a
Christian atmosphere, Muslims often want to teach in that atmosphere,
etc etc)

One of these days, the education system has got to come face to face
with the "credential" issue. When we have a seriously broken system full
of credentialed educators, and well-working systems with
non-credentialed teachers, there's obviously some room for give.

In TX, the requirement for credentials is worked around pretty regularly
(and it's funny, because "the system" that does the workaround is the
same "system" that creates the problem). They are allowed to use
non-credentialed teachers on an emergency basis. If a non-credential
teacher teaches long enough, they can earn their credentials based on
their teaching experience. Guess what happens?

Another bit of irony on a personal level. I've got several different
certifications as a technical instructor. The dean of a local technical
college attended two classes where I was an instructor. After the second
class, he asked if I had any experience teaching at the college level. I
told him only some computer classes at SMU school of engineering that
were non-credit (for Microsoft and Novell certification). He asked why I
only taught non-credit, and I told him because I had no teaching
credentials. He asked me (actually several times over the next 6 months)
to go back to college, get a degree in ANYTHING, so I could come teach
at his school.

Sorry, but it makes me smile that the college adminstrator recognizes
exactly what he wants, but is required by "the system" to force the
person to get "qualified" by getting a degree in a non-related field.

It was a little bit tempting, but only a little bit. I suspect I
wouldn't have last long with the type of frustrations that such a