[Rhodes22-list] Diane Russell and Single-handed sail video

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Mar 13 07:56:31 EDT 2008

Diane:

We have had similar discussions on this subject in past.  First, reread
Hank's reply.  I believe that we have at least one Rhodie with a furling
head sail with two tracks and has tried this.  Search the archives and let
us know what the details are.

Most choose having two types of sails.  But even those with just two sails
such as the 175 and main sail have discussed wing on wing many times.  In
fact the web site used to have a picture of Captain Rummy sailing wing on
wing. I let you see if you can find it...

There are other things, aka, techniques to safe sailing wing on wing, which
have often been discussed in the past.  The discussions include Whisker
poles, Spinnaker poles, and preventors.  Captain Bob Keller is the resident
guru on setting up preventors.

Then there is the APC as discussed on the Rhodes web site.  This is an
additional light weigh sail that could be used to try this stuff.  See the
web site for pictures...

Of course there is the whole topic of Spinnakers.  Often used by racers, but
occassionally used by Sunday sailors for light winds. Used spinnakers can be
had and are not difficult to use.  You do not have have to get one made
specifically for a Rhodes 22.  Several years ago, an older sailor, that was
88 decided to sell his Lightning 19 and give up sailing.  The guy that
bought his boat would not pay him for the spinnakers, and after seeing them
I understood why.  But I bought the better of the two.  A racing spinnaker
for a Lightning 19 works fine on a R22 and used ones can be found cheaply.

So, you are reporting that the glaciers have retreated and New Yorkers can
sail again?

Supposed to be 70+ here today.  It is that Global warning again.  Ah, only
if I did not have to drive an hour to get to Rummy's private impoundment:
http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/hartwell/boating.htm

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Cartoon attached: