[Rhodes22-list] Single-handed sail video

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Mar 13 08:10:59 EDT 2008

Seems to be a common thing for passage-makers who make long downwind
passages. I first read about it in some of the earlier accounts of
circumnavigators like the Hiscocks, Pardeys and John Caldwell's
Trekka Around the World.

Googling "twin headsails" turned up this excerpt from a book on sail trim:
http://books.google.com/books?id=pDpaiXWvx6MC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=twin+headsail&source=web&ots=qug7M1-hRu&sig=lYWOSONF85TXgeQVg7-Oie8DAlo&hl=en

We've actually tried with our UPS and the 175 on a July trip back
from a Baltimore baseball game. I've attached a couple of pictures -
both from the stern rail - one looking over the bimini forward and
the other looking up at the masthead. Couldn't get far enough away to
get a good pic. If I recall correctly, the boat sailed OK rolling no
more than you would downwind wing on wing and it may have been a bit
easier to keep the sails full. It did not seem any faster though it
might have been because there was more sail out. Checking the log, I
see that we were only making about 3 knots in about 5-6 knots of
wind. DDW is not a favorite way to sail but it was where we wanted to
go. We later furled all sails and motored as the winds became intermittent.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD