[Rhodes22-list] Easter cruise

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 12:36:00 EDT 2008

Ben,
You certainly deserve a nice long weekend sail. Enjoy you lucky dog.

Rummy

In a message dated 3/19/2008 11:52:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com writes:

One of my most enjoyable Easters was probably 4 or 5  years ago.  It
was a two-day voyage over Saturday and  Sunday.  In order to find a
passable span under a long  bridge, it took a 25-mile sail to go from
one town to another  that was 5 miles away by car.  We motorsailed a
short way  up a river, and tied up to a free public dock (including
shore  power) in the middle of a little town.  We walked to a  nearby
bar for drinks and fried oysters, then returned to the  cockpit to
smoke a cigar and polish off a couple bottles of  wine.  On Easter
Sunday, the town looked like a deserted  ghost town.  I walked to a
convenience store for donuts  and a newspaper while the admiral
percolated coffee in the  galley.  We started the return voyage and had
the whole  lake to ourselves for almost the entire day.

It's been far  too long since we had an overnight voyage, so we're
heading  out again this weekend.  We'll leave Friday evening, and  let
the wind and tide forecasts influence our  destination.  For friday, it
will probably be a nearby  anchorage all alone in a gunkhole or bayou.
We'll try to hit  civilization Saturday afternoon, and then complete
the circuit  during the day on Sunday.

Since I've never replaced my  charts of the Mississippi gulf coast, our
trip will most  likely be to the more familiar towns on Lake
Ponchatrain.  Then again, maybe we'll venture boldly  toward
Mississippi.  New Orleans is a possibility as  well.

I'll post a note and some pictures some time next  week.  Hope you all
have a happy  holliday.

Ben
Use  Rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org, Help?  www.rhodes22.org/list

Home.