[Rhodes22-list] Politics - Stan and Brad

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 19:42:08 EDT 2008

Herb,

My dream ticket would have been Rice/Anybody but she so far denies any
interest in the job - says she'd prefer to be the NFL Commissioner. If she
agrees to run with McCain that would probably sweeten the deal just enough
that I could vote for him without following his mother's advice and "hold
your nose". Put your chips on Romney for now and let them ride. The Dems
have a huge problem on their hand with no visible solution.  The Clinton's
won't quit and why should they?  Hillary has an even chance against McCain
in the fall despite her negatives.  Obama's clean image will suffer under
scrutiny and the "audacity of hope" will look more and more like the
"audacity of hype".  I'll put good money down that he loses by 3 to 5 per
cent in popular vote and a much wider margin in the electoral college.  A
lot will depend on the economy and how well his populist economic message
sells to "the middle". He's got a lot more skeletons to defend. Hillary is
kinda 'ghoulish' in her own way but everyone has gotten used to her so she's
not as scary as she once was.

I got to hear Condi give a relaxed press conference in her office today on
the web but can't find the link to the website now.  She addressed race
issues in a very eloquent fashion from her and her family's first hand
experience in Montgomery, AL.  Condi called it the "birth defect" of the
nation.  As much as I tire of the hero worship for Obama, I can empathize
somewhat when considering my own admiration for Dr. Rice.

This will be an interesting race.

Brad