[Rhodes22-list] Could I Have Another Helping of Big Government, Please?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri May 2 15:32:20 EDT 2008

Brad -

Note that I did not say that someone else should pay the
$2500 for the kid's wart removal.  Whoever the subject
of the article is signed on to the policy and presumably
had the terms in front of him.  I'm a bit concerned that
here in Maine he may have had little or no choice, and
little knowledge of the applicable tax laws.

You and I have some advantages that the average citizen
does not.  Your MBA and my (thank you Dad) excellent
opportunity for education set us apart from the guy on
the street.  We have the time and ability to read well
and critically.  Tax law is not easy to understand.

To do well in our society requires a critical mass of
learning.  With less than that critical mass, the
non-genius person spends all of their time just trying
to stay above water.  A real rat race.

Once you get above that point, whether by superior
gumption or social position (generally as a result of
a parent's efforts) or sheer intellect, you can begin
to optimize your life.  We have substituted mental
sweat for the physical, but many have not gotten the
word.  As a society, we are not doing well in that
regard.

I did say that there is a disparity between the costs
and terms of drugs and medical care between policies that
are available to the individual and those available to
large organizations.  And what is wrong with a government
negotiating in behalf of its citizens for drugs and care?
The drug companies wouldn't sign up if they were not
making a profit.  Sounds like common sense to me.

And I agree that the wart could probably have been
removed under local.  Hell, I have cut 'em off with
scissors and cauterized the result with a hot nail.
But not on my face.  And not on my kid's face.

/Robert