[Rhodes22-list] an open letter to folks considering a recycled Rhodes

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at nyu.edu
Tue May 6 12:31:55 EDT 2008

Hi Rhodies,

Many of you know that I bought a 1981 Rhodes which was severely
abused by the previous owners.
After renovating the centerboard trunk and entire mechanism with the
online support of a member of the  list who no longer
subscribes to it, Roger Pihlaja, I thought that I was done with the
worst part of the restoration.  After launching the boat last
September with Mike Weisner's help we discovered that there was a
major leak in my hull.  I found that leak on Sunday after removing
all of the
gelcoat and 2 layers of bottom paint on the entire hull.

My point is this;  If you are in the market for a used Rhodes 22 and
General Boats has one to sell, go for it!!  Even if they don't...
wait.   Because another Rhodes may be up for sale soon.   The costs
that I have incurred after 4years of doing this job myself is at
least twice what I could have paid if I had been patient.   In my one
visit to the NC plant in 2005, I was impressed with the efficiency of
Stan's operation, given their restraints.

The thought of putting a paltry 5G down on a boat seemed
inconceivable to me back in '04,  but now I have my wife reminding me
that I've spent at least 8.5 G since I bought the boat.  That number
includes storage costs and a new motor I bought last summer.

The only advantage I have over buying a Recycled Rhodes is that I
know each fitting and corner of my boat.  I doubt I will every sell
the boat I have now, I have hopes of passing it on to my step son who
also enjoys sailing.

In  a few days I hope to begin laying in the patch to my hull and in
a few short weeks, epoxy the rest of the hull with barrier coating.
Thanks to Stan and Elton
I have a new rudder head and many other new parts.

I cannot wait to feel the wind in my face already sailing this great
pocket cruiser,

Lou Rosenberg

s/v " Miracles"