[Rhodes22-list] miles per gallon- miles per Watt-hr

DownHill jadoucet at snet.net
Tue May 6 15:08:39 EDT 2008

Does anyone have experience with electric outboard motors?

The data I have is for a 101 lb thrust, saltwater, riptide, Minnkota.

I used a 36 V, 70 Amp hour lead acid battery pack. (2,500 Watt-hr)

In  calm water it would produce about 5.5 kn at full throttle.  More
typically I would run it at 4.5 kn if I wanted to go any distance.

I never ran out of power, but then I never ran it more than 2 hrs.  Usualy I
just use the motor to navigate harbors, troll,  or to get on/off my slip.
The electric motors have the obvious advantage of being quiet and always
starting.  They also have more torque at low speed which is nice when
manoevering in tight spaces. Electric motors are not for cruising, but are
very good for day sailing, fishing, etrc.

I'm thinking of switching batteries to a LiPo or NMH battery to save weight
while racing, but these batteries are very expensive.

Joe