[Rhodes22-list] How well can the IMFmain be shaped and controlled ?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun May 11 14:34:35 EDT 2008

This is a concern that only people that have never sailed a loose footed
main will raise. First of all, the Rhodes, although being quite nimble, is by no
means built for racing. If you are going to race, the IMF is probably not the
 way to go. The greatest asset of the IMF is the ability to change the amount
of  sail that is out to accommodate varying wind conditions. It also allows
you to  get away from the dock and be sailing faster than any other boat in the
marina.  The amount of speed lost isn't more than a tenth of a mile per hour
at most.  Tell the old sailor to stick around and find out when you get your
new  boat. You will be the envy of every other sail boater out there. If you
really  want a batten, order Stan's new battened main sail. It has one vertical
batten.  I could spend a great deal of time describing the many adjustments
that can be  made to the IMF, but I don't have the time right now. There is a
lake wind  advisory for our lake and I'm off to go sailing.

Rummy

In a message dated 5/11/2008 2:00:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,