[Rhodes22-list] Edenton to Philadelphia Re: Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 1...

FCrawford0707 at aol.com FCrawford0707 at aol.com
Tue May 13 23:33:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/13/2008 2:37:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mtroy at atlanticbb.net writes:

Jim  Harrison and Don Clarke did the length of the Chesapeake from
Norfolk to  Turkey Point just South of the C&D Canal in less than a week.

Folks  on the Sailnet email list (and the Sailnet bulletin board for
the  Chesapeake - different group some overlap in membership) ought to
have  info about timing the C&D. You might also ask about what's
available  for harbors turning north out of the C&D. I suspect current
and the  availability of fuel may be a major consideration.

Good  luck.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD

At 12:48 PM  5/13/2008, you wrote:
>Frone Crawford made that trip, Edenton to Jersey  shore, in about 5 days I
>think.

Lynn - My wife Andy and I sailed from Edenton to Rock Hall, and then after  a
2 week layover, sailed thru the C & D, down the Delaware Bay and to Avalon
via the Cape May Canal.  It took us 8 days for the first leg ( which we did
via the Dismal Swamp Canal to Norfolk and on up the Bay) and then 3 for the
second leg.
    I would encourage you to depart Edenton early  enough in the first day to
make it to Elizabeth City ( the "greeters" welcome  you to the town dock).
you will probably not make it all the way thru the  D S Canal the next day -
relax and enjoy it - it's fun locking up and down and  the canal is something to
just take without rushing ( you'll be motoring). there  is free overnight
tie-up at the Dismal Swamp Visitor's Center
    We stopped at the Waterside Marina in downtown  Norfolk - walkable area
if you have some time.
    we also stopped at Horn Harbor, Tangier Is,  Solomons and Herrington
Harbor South - our favorite of those was Zahniser's at  Solomons.  We did Solomons
to Rock Hall pretty easily.
    Make sure you have sufficient fuel before starting  out each day - we did
have that nemesis of cruisers - a "schedule" - so we  motored more than I
would have preferred.  We have a Yamaha 4 stroke 8  horse and  six gallon tank -
we pretty much refilled every other  morning.
    If you are going to Phila., you'll have the C &  D Canal and Del River
tidal currents to contend with - try to time the fair  tides.
    It was a great trip - get back to me if you have  questions.
    Frone Crawford
    s/v Sunday Morning

favorites at AOL Food.