[Rhodes22-list] Wind-induced noise in rigging/mast while docked

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Wed May 14 20:37:07 EDT 2008

Hi Al,
Use the topping lift to raise the boom so it lies against
the mast.  A bungie cord will keep the boom from banging against the
mast.
Rick
> Hi Al,
> We've occasionally heard the
noise you describe
> with the boat in the slip and the wind
coming
> from a certain direction. I think it's the wind
> playing the mast tube across the slot. I have not
> found
a way to get rid of it. I'd be interested
> to hear what anyone
else has to say. Several
> other boats in our marina do this but
Fretless has her own identifiable
> moan.

Mary Lou
> 1991 R22 Fretless
> Rock Hall, MD
>

> At 02:48 PM 5/14/2008, you wrote:

keep my '97 Rhodes 22 on the Boca Ciega Bay of
>>St.
Petersburg, FL , docked on a lift, with mast
>>up, at my back
yard seawall, on the St. Pete
>>Beach island side of the bay.
The dock is fairly well
>>sheltered around all points,except
the North.
>>The periodic winter cold fronts blow in from the
North
>>with 20+ knot gusty wind which produces a
>>horrendous wailing howl in the rigging/mast.
>>
>>While docked, the boat's stern faces NE ; it
>>seems
to me the wailing noise must be caused by
>>the wind entering
the IMF's hollow mast groove
>>and then exiting near the top
producing the
>>howl, like an organ pipe. I don't think the
noise is from the shrouds.

>>Please let me know
if any of you have
>>experienced or heard of someone else
running into something
>>similar, with any IMF system. If so,
has anybody
>>come up with a method to mitigate this problem,

>>other than lowering the mast / derigging or
>>docking the boat so that the stern (and mast groove)
>>faces to leeward?
>>
>>Your comments
will be very appreciated, so I thank you in advance,