[Rhodes22-list] Pedal Steel? Re: Mississippi River

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Fri May 16 08:13:00 EDT 2008

Hi Mary Lou,
Both Sharon and I play pedal steel.  We've been taking lessons for about
4 or 5 years (I've lost track) from a local fellow.
Sharon plays E9 which is usually associated with country music, and I
play both E9 and C6 which is usually western swing or jazz.
I call it a non-linear instrument because with certain pedal or lever
positions, I can move the bar up the fretboard but have some
tones drop in pitch.
We had the good fortune to see and hear Winnie play at St. Louis about a
year before he passed away.  He was a great player
and one of the few that have made an analysis of the instrument.  We
started out with one of his books.
Joe