[Rhodes22-list] 'bout time!

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri May 16 16:35:17 EDT 2008

Caesar,

Regarding the outboard lock, don't get the one that locks over the motor
clamps.  It will hit the lift when raising the motor.  If you're in a
relatively secure slip, I wouldn't even bother with a lock.  Most locks
don't hold up well to the weather corrosion.  Your motor may be more likely
to be stolen if you go bow first into your slip rather than backing in.
Apparently thieves will steal it by sea instead of land.  I tie a sturdy
line from the motor to the port stern eye, just in case the sucker falls
off.

As for a 20" shaft, my 25" drags in the water a little when I'm on a
starboard tack.  A 20" is probably long enough.  Stan just recylced a
friend's boat, and her 9.9 Yamaha longshaft now tilts when it's fully
raised.  Might want to give him a call to see if yours does the same thing.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD