[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Engine Long or Extra Long Shaft

Bob-Leslie Fletcher tfl4625 at blackfoot.net
Fri May 16 23:22:03 EDT 2008

Ceasar,

I have a 20 " shaft 2007 Tohatsu 9.8 on a 2007 boat with the standard
bracket.  I'm no expert, but the shaft length seems right.  The prop clears
the water even on hard tack when the motor is raised, but I haven't had any
problem with the prop coming out of the water under power even in larger
swells.

Getting the motor to lock in the raised position can be a little touchy.
The bracket has to be at just the right height for the motor to clear the
transom but not hit the rail as it tilts forward over the transom.

If you aren't planning on remote controls, you might want to look at the
Mercury "lightweight" line of motors.  I think the "guts" of their 9.8 hp
motor are the same as (made by?) Tohatsu, but the controls are integrated
into the motor "tiller" which looks more convenient than the Tohatsu.  They
may cost a little more than the Tohatsu.

I went with remote controls that work ok but I still have a few
reservations.  With the remote control, you lose the motor "tiller" handle,
and there are times I would like to steer with the motor rather than the
rudder.  For this season I will try to cobble together some sort of a
folding motor tiller that I could use like the "original" tiller arm of a
motor without remote controls.

Bob Fletcher