[Rhodes22-list] Pedal Steel? Re: Mississippi River

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Sat May 17 08:47:44 EDT 2008

Mary Lou,
Who are the jazz players is an interesting question.  Sometimes I think
that pedal steel jazz is one of the worlds
best kept secrets.  There are lots of players who play jazz but you
don't hear of them as jazz players.  One reason
may be money.  Our teacher calls the E9 neck the "Kroger" neck.  Kroger
is a line of grocery stores.  He calls
the C6 neck the St. Louis neck.  The E9 neck will take you to Krogers
(buy groceries), the C6 neck will take
you to St. Louis (show off at the convention).
However, there are players who record jazz.  One is Jim Cohen.  Check
out Jim Cohen "Four to the Bar" or
www.JimCohen.com.  Another great player is Bob Taillefer, a Canadian
fellow.  Other players who do jazz
and sometimes include it on their CD's are Hal Rugg (deceased), Buddy
Emmons (our favorite), Randy Beavers,
Jimmy Crawford (deceased), Paul Franklin.  The list goes on and on.
Unfortunately, some of the greats have
passed away in just the last few years.  But young guys and gals are
picking up the baton so to speak.  Sharon
has played at the convention.  I get the shakes when I get on stage.
Attached is a picture of her playing in
2005.
Visit www.steelguitarforum.com if you would like to know more.  Also
search for Scotty's Music in St. Louis
to find out about the steel guitar convention.  It is international.  We
have folks from Japan, France, the Netherlands,
England, South Africa.  It's an amazingly eclectic group and you hear
music of all styles.
Best,
Joe