[Rhodes22-list] Socialized Medicine - who should die... [Political]

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun May 18 14:52:55 EDT 2008

Joe,

We have several on this forum who want some form of socialized medicine.
Here is a TV and Radio commentators view of deciding who should die:

"GLENN: So, this guy was talking to me last night and this is what he ask
for a living.  He looks at the price of oil and how it affects the economy.
He said ‑‑ you know, everybody's complaining now that we have 40 million in
insured?  He predicts that by spring of next year ‑‑ try this on for size ‑‑
there will be 140 uninsured in American, 140 million people uninsured in
America.  Why?  Because he says the fundamentals of business in America have
to change.  Fed Ex can't do ‑‑ at $200 a barrel.  Fed Ex can't do what they
do.  UPS can't do what they do.  The united postal service, how are they
going to afford it?  How do jets run?  He says fresh tuna, going into a
seafood restaurant and having fresh food, do you know that the average meal
that you sit down and eat, do you know the average meal has traveled 1,500
miles to get to your table?  That's incredible.  Here.  I'll go to my
refrigerator.  I'm holding a bottle of water from the island of Fiji.  $200
‑‑ we're shipping water on 747's?  No, no, seriously.  We can afford to ship
water, when I get it out of my tap?  Come on.

So, now, what's going to happen are these companies are going to say, well,
we've got to have the water from Fiji.  So, what can we cut?  He believes
they're going to cut health insurance because the government is, like, yeah.
We'll provide health insurance.  So, we'll get health insurance from the
government.  Nobody is notices that capitalism seems to be working
all‑around the planet and it's falling apart here because we're ashamed of
it.  For some reason we're ashamed.  Everybody bashes Wal‑Mart.  Have you
seen what Wal‑Mart has done recently?  Oh, Wal‑Mart, they're so evil!  Yeah.
Yeah.  They're so evil.  You see that their expanding their low cost drug
program?  They're now filling prescriptions for up to 350 gentlemen jerk
drugs for $10 and that covers a 90‑day period.  Drugs for 90 days for $10.
Thank you, Wal‑Mart.

There are additional women's medicines available for 9 bucks that include
drugs to treat cancer and hormone deficiency.  $9 for 90 days.

Why aren't they doing more drugs?  You're going to hear that.  Also,
Wal‑Mart is lowering prices on over a thousand over‑the‑counter meds to $4
or less.  They say they have saved Americans over $1 billion since the
program was introduced in 2006 and they're responding it every day.
Capitalism.  Capitalism.  It's a good thing.

Now, if you would like to take a glimpse at what the world is going to look
like under government's power, here it is.  In a story that was not reported
an awful lot because this has to do with ‑‑ in case there's a pandemic.  Do
you know what?  I don't even believe that this was developed for a pandemic.
Sure.  Maybe we're worried about the bird flu still.  I think this was ‑‑
this is a blueprint for universal health care.  Newly issued report gives
guidelines to doctors on who should live and who should die if a deadly
pandemic were to sweep the country or the globe.  They actually now have a
list of who not to give medicine to.  If you're too old, no meds for you.
Severe burn, no meds for you.  Suffer from dementia, no meds.  This is
great.  It's a wonderful list.  It was compiled by a task force made up by
people from prominent universities, professors, oh, from the people who
brought us the final solution.  Medical groups and government agencies.

They say that in the event that there aren't enough medical supplies to go
around, they have to prioritize who's going to get the medicines and who
will get the treatment.  This is a pandemic.  This isn't if there is enough
medicine to go around because somebody doesn't have enough money to afford
them.  This isn't in case in government is carrying everyone on their
shoulder and oil is at $200 a barrel and we're spending our self into
oblivion.  This has nothing to do with it.  This is for a pandemic.  This
isn't the blueprint for universal health care.  This is for the bird flu.

So, who's on the list?  People at high risk of death, you're out of luck.
Slim chance of long‑term survival?  Bye bye.  This is going to be great,
isn't it?  You're over 85, bye bye.  So, who has a chance?  Who's going to
get the medicine?  If you have 10 percent chance to live, they bail on you.
27 percent chance, I don't know.  I don't know.  Do they?  Where's the line
here?  People older than 85 get no treatment.  Those with severe trauma
which could include critical injuries from car crashes and shootings, no.
Severely burned parents older than 60, if you're 59 and a half, Ow!  I was
on fire for an hour and I'm 59 and a half.  Do we give it to them?  I hope.
If you happen to be in a cab with, you know, your twin, your twin brother,
you were born at 11:30.  They were born at 12:15.  You're 59.  They're 60.
Boy.  Say good‑bye to your brother, man.  Oh, that sucks.  Those with severe
mental impairment, including Alzheimer's.  The government says no drugs for
you."

Provided for perspective.
Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA