[Rhodes22-list] Keblinskas & Wind-induced noise in rigging/mast while docked

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Tue May 20 18:14:12 EDT 2008

Since I am on a mooring, I don't get wind across the mast slot.  I do
sometimes get a similar noise, more of a humm humm humm (a deep tome with
about a 2-cycle per second volume oscillation).  The source, I found by
accident was an overly tight topping lift.  I had the habit of pulling the
mainsheet tight and cleating it off to keep everything stowed on the
mooring.   The wind vibrates the topping lift line like a big bass fiddle.
I detected it when I grabbed the topping lift about 2' above the cabin top,
and the noise stopped.  I just slack the mainsheet a small amount and it
stops.  Hope this is helpful.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03