[Rhodes22-list] motors

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Fri May 30 08:05:30 EDT 2008

Tom,
One more data point.  We have the Yamaha 9.9 on our Rhodes.  Our week on
the Albemarle was my first experience with
it and I was pleasantly surprised at the fuel efficiency.  I didn't
figure out a gallon/hour figure, but we used the engine a fair amount
traveling from Columbia over to Yeopim River, then back and forth
between Edenton and Salmon Creek.  I kept checking the
gas tank to see if I needed gas.  Even after all the motoring we did, I
could only fit about 2.5 gallons into the tank at
Mackies Marina.  We had started with a full 6 gallon tank.
As far as being powerful enough, we never opened up the throtle more
than halfway and always felt we had good control
of the boat even in waves and wind.  Coming into the ramp at the end of
Midway drive was a little dicey because the wind
was blowing right onto the docking area.  I was able to hold the boat
against the wind in reverse to ease us down to
the dock without too much trouble.
Joe
2000 Rhodes recycled 08, "Harmony"