[Rhodes22-list] Photo test

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Fri May 30 10:03:58 EDT 2008

At 09:20 AM 5/30/2008 -0400, Bill Effros wrote:
>Picassa automatically scales down photos when it emails to appropriate
>email size.  Probably 640 wide by whatever that makes the height come to
>so it fits on a 16:9 computer screen.

FYI, the critical issue in e-mailing photo files is not the physical
dimensions.  It's the file size.  While overall dimensions can be a
factor, the main control is the amount of compression applied to
reduce the file size for e-mailing (often inaccurately referred to as
"Quality").

Many programs, like Picasa, adopt reasonable standards to produce
results that will work in most situations, so users don't have to be
bothered with details like resolution, JPEG compression, and pixel
dimensions.  However, at some point in your photo e-mailing efforts
it will be necessary to know two pieces of information -

1) How big is the file you are trying to e-mail?

2) What is the size limit imposed by the recipient (if any)?

In our case, the recipient is the rhodes22.org mailing list
software.  Currently that size limit appears to be around 5Mb.  But
that doesn't sound right to me because people have reported smaller
attachments not getting thru.  In any case, I believe 5Mb is overly
generous and that is likely to change in the future.  Also, the water
gets muddy if you use the nabble.com interface, because it has its
own set of rules (as yet unknown to me and almost certainly different) .

More details when I have them.

Cheers!

John Lock