[Rhodes22-list] Which is Fastest?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri May 30 19:50:54 EDT 2008

Great afternoon of sailing.  Played around with three different sail plans to
see which would be the fastest.  For all three; true wind was about 12-14
knots, centerboard was down, close reach of about 50 degrees with sails
adjusted properly, 10-15 degree heel, and the tiller was locked straight.  I
did need to occasionally shift my weight slightly to keep on tack.

A.  Boom down.  Genoa sheet between mast and inner shroud.  Genoa reefed to
about 70%.  Full main.

B.  Boom up.  Genoa sheet between inner and outer shrouds.  Genoa reefed to
about 110%.  Main reefed to about 60%.

C.  Boom up.  No Genoa.  Full main.

Which do you think was fastest?  Results surprised me.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD