[Rhodes22-list] motors

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Fri May 30 20:58:23 EDT 2008

Bill get the Yamaha t9.9 high thrust, the issue you are having are not hp,
but getting the hp into the water, the  11 3/4 inch prop with the high cross
surface area turning slow (the 2.92 gear ratio) is what you need, have stan
use the long rails on the boat(i.e they go above the transom) and get the 25
inch version (it will give you more wave height).

Ran it for years on the sound in gale warnings, all you need, the problem
when you get down to it is the Tohatsu is designed for a light planning
boat(i.e. a small high pitched prop turning fast, and changing it prop does
not help, the "size is constrained" and gear ratio is fixed), it will work
in claim days but pushing it is fails... not sure the 15 Tohatsu helps,
still wrong gear/propsize so you will never get the rmp's for the hp (it
only 15 hp when the motor is turning 5000+ rpm and hull speed will prevent
that or it will be "forming" up the water without doing much)

-mjm

Ps. What to waste some money on a remote kit on the Tiller?