[Rhodes22-list] Sailing electronics.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 13:03:15 EST 2008

People,
Not only are we way over thinking this, but you are forgetting some very
basic details. First, a GPS receives signals from space, usually a minimum of at
least four satellites at the same time. It has to have a clear view of the
sky,  not impeded by the pop top or other obstacles.
A fish finder will also work as a depth sounder. Mounting the puck requires
a place where there is little disturbed water for clarity.....meaning an
accurate reading for depth, contour and fish. Some also give you water
temperature. Placing the puck in the lazzerette is handy, but you will get  disturbed
water. The further forward you mount it, either thru hull or epoxying  it to the
glass, the better the readings will be. That being said, you must be  careful
not to place it where the glass is to thick or you will get false  readings.
Attached is a drawing showing an easy method to mount the puck without
glassing it in.
Lap top computer circuitry does not like salt or humid air. It especially
does not like a dunking. My personal experience with computers on boats has not
been good.

Rummy

5 Travel Deals!