[Rhodes22-list] Yamaha (non) cooling system.

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Nov 3 16:56:28 EST 2008

Robert,

Sounds like you need a new mechanic!!

Cooling pump impellers do fail.  Interestingly, the more they are used, the
longer they seem to last.  They usually fail at season startup because they
adhere to the pump housing during dry season.

If the system still doesn't pump correctly after impeller replacement, look
for a leaky pump due to lower unit seal failure.  The seal should be
replaced when the impeller is changed, prior to lower unit assembly to
engine (the "kit" includes the seals, see
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/MAL9-48600/OB-YAMWP/Kit,+Water+Pump+Repair,+Yamaha+9.9-15+HP

Poor mechanics do not usually have gasket so they figure it is still usable
and you have a leak.  If the line was "occluded" look for crud that was not
properly cleaned out during initial service activity such as gasket/seal
material trapped in line.  Most common problem which requires cooling tube
replacement is improper reassembly of lower unit, not fitting tube into
recess and forcing the lower unit into place, kinking the tube.  At this
point a simple job becomes fairly expensive.

BTW, the standard Yamaha thermostat has a "weep hole" to permit flush water
to circulate and drain from motor, I think.  I do not think that you need to
drill any additional holes.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY