[Rhodes22-list] Zac Sunderland

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:51:25 EST 2008

Fellow Rhodies,

I don't know how many of you have been following the story of Zac Sunderland
(www.zacsunderland.com), but he is a 16 year old boy currently attempting a
solo circumnavigation.  He left LA in June and currently is approaching
Mauritius, an island to the east of Madagascar.

During his leg from Darwin to Cocos Keeling Island he ran into some problems
and snapped his boom in half.  He was able to get a temporary repair in
Cocos keeling that will get him to Mauritius but needs the new boom for the
leg from Mauritius to Durban, South Africa and the channel between Africa
and Madagascar can spawn some pretty sudden and strong storms.  His father,
Laurence, has purchased a new boom but needs to get it to Mauritius.

Brad and I have been trying to work out something through Fedex or others
since last Thursday but since Fedex doesn't go to that region themselves,
there wasn't much we could do.  It looks like the only thing they can do is
ship it through UPS which will run $1500.00.

Brad and I have both agreed to donate $100 towards the cost and we're hoping
that we can pass the hat around the list to help out Zac's adventure.  If
you go to Zac's homepage, www.zacsunderland.com, there is a link on the left
side to contribute towards the adventure.  Anything you can spare would be
greatly appreciated.  While you are on the website, check out the blog.
Some of the adventure's he is going through are pretty wild.  For him to
have done what he has at 16 years old is absolutely tremendous.

Take care,

Hank