[Rhodes22-list] How's the voting going out there?

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Tue Nov 4 12:02:35 EST 2008

Just curious about how the voting is out there.  Here in SW Virginia,
the turnout is pretty heavy.   We voted this morning at our normal time
(around 8:00).  First time ever we've seen a line with more than 5
people in it.  Mine is not a large voting district.  About 25 people
when we got there and took about 20 minutes to get through the line.
The poll workers said there were 60 or so people lined up when the place
opened at six this morning.  Saw my first black person voting at our
precinct (I live in an overwhelming white, rural, mostly conservative
district).  A somewhat elderly gentleman being helped by his son.  I was
voter number 255 and I think the total number in the last presidential
election was around 600.  510 for Bush and 90 for Kerry.  Shows how my
district leans.  Curious to see the results this time.  On the way in,
passed another polling station.  Parking lot full with people parking in
the field next door and a line half way around the building.  All my
coworkers are reporting similar results at their polling station.  One
thing is for sure, this election has brought out the voters.