[Rhodes22-list] for Brad's eyes and those who reason only ...

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Nov 9 22:39:29 EST 2008

Brad,

Even seizing it through eminent domain, they still must give you a fair
price.  It takes a lot of time to negotiate this price through the
courts if the land holder chooses to dispute the price offered.

If you are the last piece of the puzzle, they would sooner give you a
little more than they think it was worth prior to buying the other
parcels than get all tangled up in the court system.

Use this information.  Decide what is the most you could get for the
land and then negotiate for a price 10% higher.  You'll get it in a
heartbeat if you can convince the government that you are prepared to
fight for it.

Start shopping for another piece of land that you consider equivalent.
Have the government swap your land for the new land so that even if you
have to pay taxes, the government covers the tax cost as well as the
property cost.

If you know what you are negotiating for, and it sounds fair, it is
fairly easy to get these terms.

Bill Effros