[Rhodes22-list] question about electricity

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Nov 10 11:58:09 EST 2008

Jb,

The first pic is just fabulous!  For an northeast boater, the
foothills/mountains show that it is not like any water that we sail in here
on the LI Sound.  Beautiful - and the water still feels wet and you can sail
on the stuff?  Here, boats are hauled and wrapped, the leaves have nearly
all fallen (we did have one of the prettiest autumns in years) ...  Now if
only we could sail on snow!

As far as static electricity accumulating on the hull goes, it is probably
due to the lack of humidity.  Just as it occurs on airplanes, the winds
redistribute electrons, causing a charge to build up on the insulated
(fiberglass) hull.  The simplest way to remedy this is to provide a leakage
path to the water.  All conductive metal objects (motor housing, rails,
mast, rigging, etc.) should be connected together via a small wire (no real
current is involved) and terminated at a fixture that is exposed to the
water.  Care should be taken to make connection to the water away from
gasoline vapors (not at the motor or mount) and using a "sacrificial anode",
something that you would not miss, as it may be consumed by galvanic
corrosion in the process of transferring the charge.  See
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/23.htm

The creation of static electricity in this manner has been a real problem in
biking (bicycles) due to the use of nylon suits and composite helmets.  Some
people have had good results using antistatic preparations such as fabric
softeners to solve the problem.  While treating the hull with wax increases
the static generation ability, applying fabric softener solutions may reduce
the generated potential, although the combination may cause an unsafe, very
slippery surface.

You need to find a way to harness the potential energy that you have created
rather than just discharge it.  How about a static electricity motor - I
think that John Galt knew something about this ...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Just bent" <j.bulfer at jbtek.com> Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 10:56