[Rhodes22-list] Politics- 1st Amendment v. Defamatory Speech (That Delicate Balance)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 17:23:33 EST 2008

Ben,

Did you follow any of the Mark Levin trial in Canada?  Levin found
himself under the microscope of the Canadian "speech police" for
writing an article (mostly true IMHO) about some Canadian Muslim
clerics.  I really, really, hope we don't go down that path in the US.
 Unfortunately, we already have a head start in that direction and Ivy
League universities are blazing the trail. What on earth do we send
our children to college for anyway?  Are we doing them a favor by
protecting them from differing opinions and alternative views? Most of
these so-called "anti bullying" groups aren't so interested in
protecting anyone so much as their singular point of view of the
world.  Our founding fathers must be turning in their grave. This
reminds me a bit of the week I spent this summer in Kunming China with
a "cyber cop" looking over my shoulder.  We really don't want to go
down this road.

Brad