[Rhodes22-list] News Item Re Economy and Boat Owners

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 18:05:55 EST 2008

Ben,

Look at the bright side, what a great time to be in the market for a
boat.  Airplane prices fell sharply about a year ago because of fuel
prices so I'm used to the whining from my other list.  Just as avgas
fell below 5 bucks a gallon, the stock and real estate markets crashed
so there's still no hope on the horizon.  The environmental damage
from sinking an abandoned boat is inexcusable. My brother "recycled" a
number of boats on the MS coast after Katrina.  There was a short
learning curve and the final solution is you pick them up with the
hydraulic thumb on our trackhoe and stuff them in a 20' waste
container.  About 70% falls apart in the container and the rest you
throw over the side.  I'm guessing the total time required for a 30
foot or so plastic boat is about 45 seconds.

Brad