[Rhodes22-list] Cheap Car From China

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 18:01:40 EST 2008

Slim,

Three years ago I attended an international car show in Dalian China
and sat in a Chery.  It was an impressive automobile but after
watching the NTSB crash test, not so impressive. Most of the taxi-cabs
in Beijing used to be Shanghai Volkswagons.  Now, about 40% are
Beijing built Hyundai's, same quality as a Montgomery, Alabama built
Hyundai's (a very well built Korean designed car). My trackhoe is a
$97,000 wonderful machine built in the Hyundai plant outside Beijing
with a Japanese engine and an American drive-train.  I'd put it up
against any Caterpillar, John Deere, or Komatsu.  I haven't been to a
car plant since the late 80's, and that was the Audi plant in
Inglestadt Germany.  Even then, it was mostly robots.  I wouldn't be
so quick to write off Chinese cars.  It wasn't that long ago we were
making fun of the Japanese.  Who's having the last laugh now?

Brad