[Rhodes22-list] Knox to Mobile in a 14 foot john boat

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 08:45:48 EST 2008

Joe,

Heat-Moon's real name is William Trodgen but he writes under his Osage
Indian name. He was an English professor at Missouri when he didn't
make tenure, his wife left him, and he said "the hell with it" and
packed his belongings in a 65' Ford van and headed cross-country.
That trip resulted in his first book, "Blue Highways" and is still one
of my favorites.  His second book "PraireEarth" was OK but "River
Horse" is better. He took a 23' foot boat from NYC to the Pacific
Ocean with all but about 60 miles on water (had to trailer over the
Continental Divide).  He just published a new one but I haven't found
time to read it yet.

Another favorite sailing author is William F. Buckley (the dead one,
not the Jr.).  I've read two of his three sailing adventures.

Brad