[Rhodes22-list] Oh My God!

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 20:42:09 EST 2008

Herb,

Speaking from my own experience, there are good public schools and bad
ones.  I was fortunate to go to a good one, well funded (thank you
Chicago for sending your tax dollars down state), with lot's of
parental involvement (I've already told the story here about my dad
making asses out of the school board in public).  When my oldest was
ready to start school in Little Rock it was a no brainer.  He went to
private schools from K-12. My second went to both.  Cora is now in
public school and we couldn't be happier, so far. My bitch with the
public school system all along is why is the Federal 'gubment'
involved for any reason?

Obama has mouthed lot's of answers about education and spent lot's of
other folks money on experiments, but isn't willing to put at risk his
own daughters (article attached).  I admire he and Michelle for using
their resources to their children's best advantage.  He obviously
feels the same way I do about education.

Brad

-------------------

The Obamas Walk Away from Public Schools

Posted By Andrew J. Coulson On November 21, 2008 @ 9:06 pm In
Education and Child Policy | Comments Disabled

A few months ago, Barack Obama told a gathering of the American
Federation of Teachers that he opposes private school choice programs,
adding: "We need to focus on fixing and improving our public schools;
[1] not throwing our hands up and walking away from them."

It's not clear whether or not the president-elect will be able to fix
our public schools, and I don't know if he's thrown up his hands, but
he and his two daughters have just walked away from the public
schools. Again. When they move from Chicago to D.C., Malia and Sasha
Obama will be moving from the prestigious private Lab School [2] to
the prestigious private Sidwell Friends school — Chelsea Clinton's old
stomping ground.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, it's wonderful
that the Obamas had such a broad range of public and private school
choices available to them. What's puzzling is that the president-elect
opposes programs that would bring that same easy choice of schools
within reach of families who lack his personal wealth. By his actions,
Senator Obama is demonstrating that he is not willing to wait for his
own policy prescriptions to "fix and improve" public schools, but he
expects folks with less ample bank accounts to patiently await his
hoped-for change.

And while many reports will no doubt trumpet the $25,000+ tuition at
Sidwell Friends, implying that this is extravagantly beyond what is
spent in D.C. public schools, they will be mistaken. As I wrote in the
[3] Washington Post and [4] on this blog, D.C. public schools also
spent about $25,000 per child in the 2007-08 school year.

It's not that president-elect Obama is against spending a lot of money
on other people's kids — he's just against letting their parents
choose where that money is spent.

Article printed from Cato @ Liberty: http://www.cato-at-liberty.org