[Rhodes22-list] Dead Battery (Again)

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 07:14:51 EST 2008

Lee,
Sounds like a lot of problems without an easy way to determine exactly  where
the problem is. Many years ago a hail storm took out my solar panel so I
removed it and replaced it with a MARINE charger on board. They are sealed units
with no accessible or serviceable parts anywhere. All solid state. I like
this  arrangement because I always know that I will have fully charged batteries.
I  would isolate the batteries or at least put in a battery switch allowing
you to  chose how you want to use the power.
Your house battery should be a deep cycle battery and your battery for the
motor should be a starting battery. West Marine and several others have a duel
purpose battery which can be used as a starting battery and also takes to
deep  discharges.
If you go with just the starting battery for the motor, I would isolate it
from the rest of the electrical and have only the motor connected to it.
Running  the motor should keep it fully charged. If it doesn't, at least you have
isolated that problem.
I don't have an electric start motor so I don't have that problem. I have
two deep cycle batteries beneath the V berth. One is connected to only the
running lights. The other runs the cabin lights, VHF radio and a very power
hungry stereo. Hope this helps.

Rummy

In a message dated 11/26/2008 12:16:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,