[Rhodes22-list] Outdoor Storage ? ?

EmailUser sloopblueheron sloopblueheron at isp.com
Thu Oct 16 21:15:46 EDT 2008

Hank and Lee,

There are many ways to put stress on your boat's hull and rigging.  To me,
the ease of lowering the R22's mast doesn't justify the wear and tear of
leaving it up all winter.  I'd rather save the boat for a fun ride in
pounding waves.

I live in Cleveland where it can get to 20 below and windspeeds along the
lakeshore can get to 70 mph.  I just don't think contracted rigging trying
to bend a brittle hull for dozens of hours over the winter is worth putting
my boat through.

Of course, there are many boats stored around Cleveland with masts up.  In a
well managed yard, the risk of a boat toppling is low.  But my club is
do-it-yourself and we average 2 boats a year that topple.  They're always
stored on jack stands.  So I park among the trailer crowd where it is
safer.

Rick

Regards,

Rick