[Rhodes22-list] Political discussion is diluting the value of the Rhodes ...

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 12:04:32 EDT 2008

Dave,
When it comes to politics, my mind is made up....don't confuse me with  facts.

Rummy

In a message dated 9/3/2008 11:25:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dwbrad at gmail.com writes:

To  Andrew, Cowie, et al.,

I was in the same place a couple of years ago  when I first joined the
list.  A funny thing happened along the  way.  All of the distracting
political debates have actually changed  my thinking in a material way.
After a few decades of being heads down with  work and family and
squeezing in a bit of fun here and there, I find the  direct exposure
to points of view different from mine to be enlightening or  at least
challenging.  Give it a try...

Dave

On  Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:16 AM, cowie <ccowie at cowieassociates.com>  wrote:

> I have enjoyed the sailing discussions on this forum  for about four months
> and appreciate the level of enthusiasm and  input.  I introduced myself
> originally with a slide show and  description of my test sail at General
> Boats in the spring of 2008 and  have ordered a new R22 for delivery the
> spring of 2009.  While I  don't have a lot to offer as a newbie out of water
> I look forward to  being able to offer advice on various sailing topics next
>  year.
>
> I was initially put off by the political banter and name  calling back and
> forth.  I made it clear in my introduction that  I view the forum for
sailing
> not politics.  I check in everyday  to see what new topics are discussed and
> this is quite useful as I  think about the various options I could consider
> on my new R22.   Having to scroll thru a handful of political discussions to
> sort out  the relevant sailing topics is a bit of an inconvenience but one I
> am  willing to live with if it keeps the sailing discussion alive.  It  is
> evident that a lot of regular forum members enjoy talking politics  on a
> daily basis but these are also the same members willing to jump  in and
offer
> valuable advice and input about sailing.
>
>  I will continue to lurk about the edges until I get my feet wet next
spring.

> Paul Krawitz  wrote:
>>
>> While I appreciate the desire for people to  express theirpolitical
>> viewpoints, the use of Rhodes22.orgas the  vehicle to do this dilutes the
>> value of this
>> newsgroup  for informational exchange regarding sailing, engines,
>> rigging,  boating venues, and of course, the Rhodes 22 itself.
>>
>>  Consequently, although I have received several
>> helpful  communications regarding my second Rhodes,
>> I find myself deleting  the discussions automatically
>> unless I've posted a question. Thus,  I miss out on
>> potentially useful  information.
>>
>> Is it possible that an alternate  discussion group could
>> be created for those subscribers who wish  to pursue
>> political commentary, thus maintaining the "purity"  of
>> the Rhodes22.org web site and  newsgroup?
>>
>> Are there any other subscribers who  concur?
>>
>> Paul K
>> "Clarity"
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080902/060cce97/attachment.jpg

David  Bradley