[Rhodes22-list] Poor throttle response

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Sep 4 17:31:58 EDT 2008

Rory,

Since you can get to full throttle (slowly) this rules out problems related
to supply of air (air filter is OK) and fuel (fuel filter, tank vent, fuel
pump, etc. are OK) and also ignition.  If it stalls on sudden acceleration,
the problem is either due to too rich a fuel mixture (check for occluded
choke passages, improper mixture adjustment, improper accelerator pump
action, etc.) or more likely, improper fuel bowl float setting (sudden
acceleration will burn the fuel before it is replaced by the pump.)

Have you cleaned the carb out recently?  If so, did you bend the float
adjustment?  The purpose of the fuel bowl is to maintain a fuel reservoir
for rapid changes in fuel consumption so that the engine is not starved for
fuel.  The float is adjusted so that it maintains a particular level in the
bowl.  It opens and closes a small needle valve in the fuel inlet line,
regulating the flow into the bowl.  Too much and the engine "floods" with
fuel; too little and the engine runs out of fuel (starves) when rapidly
accelerating.

Small engine (carbureted) 101 ...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)